top of page
Image by Anupam Mahapatra

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the difference between a Physiotherapist and a Physical Therapist? 

They are the same. In some countries eg. North America, the profession is addressed as PHYSICAL THERAPY (PT), whereas in other countries eg. Australia the profession is addressed as PHYSIOTHERAPY (PT). CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE. 

2. Why do Physiotherapists have different credentials for their degree?

The Physiotherapy degree is a tertiary level, professional degree within the medical field. The Physiotherapy degree used to be offered as a Baccalaureate, but within the last decade the Physiotherapy degree now globally accepted is offered at both Master’s (MSPT) and Doctorate levels (DPT) regulated by the national accreditation agency.


There is a third option for a Transitional Doctorate degree (tDPT) for those licensed Physiotherapists who obtained a Bachelor or Master’s degree and afterwards, complete a series of courses. The tDPT is not an accredited degree. However the tDPT arms practitioners with the skills and knowledge required to assume leadership roles.


Licensed Physiotherapists in the Bahamas have degrees from all corners of the globe including, but not limited to: Canada, United States of America, Australia, Philippines, The West Indies, India, Cuba and obtain expertise through ongoing courses and certification from globally recognised course providers. 

3. How do I become a Physiotherapist licensed in the Bahamas?

Licensed Physiotherapists / Physical Therapists must have active, unrestricted licensure in the country they received their licence to practice. They must also provide certified copies of their Physical Therapy / Physiotherapy license in that country and Physical Therapy / Physiotherapy degree. In the Bahamas, applications for licensure are received by the Health Professions Council. For those who are not from the Bahamas, an offer of employment is required for submission of your application. To find the most updated information, please contact the HEALTH PROFESSIONS COUNCIL OF THE BAHAMAS directly.


For all newly licensed Physiotherapists in the Bahamas, the first year of licensure will also require 1 year of membership with the BAPT. 

4. How do I get to see a PHYSIOTHERAPIST?

In the Bahamas, Telehealth and In-person visits are available. To initiate skilled Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy a referral / prescription from a licensed Physician is required. Find more about local Physicians through the Medical Association of the Bahamas. 

5. How many Physiotherapists are there in the Bahamas? 

You can find out about Physiotherapists in The Bahamas and the Caribbean via the World Physio website HERE. 

6. What is the cost of living the Bahamas? 

The cost of living is generally higher than in the Bahamas due to the island nation requiring most resources to be shipped in. Costs fluctuate due to oil and gas prices, availability of resources and on-island overhead costs. Find out more HERE

7. I would like to do an internship at a Rehabilitation facility in the Bahamas. How do I start this process? 

There are (2) main hospitals with acute care and outpatient rehabilitation departments in the Bahamas. Princess Margaret Hospital and Doctors Hospital. In addition, there are several private Physiotherapy outpatient facilities in Nassau and Grand Bahama island. To inquire about the process of internships, it is recommended that you speak with a representative directly. 

8. Are there Physiotherapy schools in the Bahamas? 

No. There are no Physiotherapy degree programs in the Bahamas. 

9. Can I work in the Bahamas while I am on vacation?

No. You will need to have licensure from the Health Professions Council of the Bahamas before engaging in professional Physiotherapy activity. There are significant fines for those acting in these roles without the appropriate license. 

10. Can I offer Telehealth Physiotherapy services as a non-Bahamas licensed Physiotherapist outside of the Bahamas? 

Your malpractice insurance provider and professional license jurisdiction will be responsible for this scope of practice as it relates to ethics and liability. Please contact the Health Professions Council for related fees and protocol for the full response.  

bottom of page